Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Teaching Tuesday: Food Banks


I wanted to changes things a little bit from what they were last time. Tuesday is one of those days. I liked the survival skills and I still think those are great activities, but maybe I need to start adding something that helps us think about the world outside of our home, even though it is Safer At Home!

When I grew up, I remember watching Saturday Morning Cartoons. During the commercial breaks there would be little PSAs (Public Service Announcements). Many of those were part of "The More You Know" done by CBS. Did you know they're still doing those today? Teaching Tuesday will be using those quick PSAs to help inform you of some world issues. These entries will now include one of two of the topic's PSAs and then links and other information for how to teach yourself about the issues.

I decided to start with the theme of "Community." This week's topic is Food Banks.




Education and Involvement:
Continue down the rabbit hole of information searching and look for ways that you can get involved or if there are services that can help you. It's hard to realize that sometimes we all need help. I've had to use services before to get through hard times, but when I've gotten back on my feet I try to return to kindnesses done for me. Don't feel ashamed. Know where you are at in life and what you need. Help yourself and others by making sure they have enough to food and drink. 

The best way to find your local Food Banks, Food Pantries, or Food Assistance Organizations is to google your local area and find one. This isn't going to go away and many people are finding ways to help and survive during this Pandemic. So remember what options are available to you to use or to help.




No comments:

Post a Comment