Monday, July 27, 2020

Mindfulness Monday: What I Can Control



I have this hanging in my classroom.  Just as a reminder for my kids who can get upset about things that are out of their control. It doesn't mean they don't have the right to get upset over it or that their emotions are wrong, but it helps put into perspective what we can control in our own lives and what is outside of our control, so that we can be more thoughtful individuals.

For example, I remember sharing the above poster with a friend and that friend asked for someone to make a large printed poster out of it. Then everyone in the school seemed to have it, but no one knew where it came from. Well, that it came from me and now her. I was sad, because no one realized I was the one who shared it with the original person and I felt like my thoughtfulness over sharing this poster and purchasing it in the first place was unknown. But what would be the point of others knowing it was me, right? My friend was getting some appreciated credit.  So it was something I knew was out of my control and I needed to let it go! I had to just appreciate that others were really enjoying having the poster.  

Control is something that helps us to feel good about the world around us. Sometimes we try to control too much and that can cause problems with relationships and just a general world view. It causes stress and worry and poor health. 

Now I understand the idea of "let it go" to be very frustrating and, at times, not what you want to hear. Often people use the phrase to dismiss your feelings of despair. For example, you're feeling out of control and you don't know why and someone just says "let it go." Do you mean my feelings? Do you mean the issue? It is unclear. But when we find ourselves in a position where we are overthinking and dwelling, it's helpful to remember what we can control and what we cannot control. 



No comments:

Post a Comment